Wednesday 15 January 2014

Why I want to Fight

    Okay, so I am in my (gasp) LATE thirties now.... my word, when did I get to be this old?? Seriously, I feel like I am still in my twenties, and let's face it, I still act like an impulsive teenager on occasion. But the truth is I am 36. I am not a spring chicken any more. So why am I trying to become an amateur boxer? Because you are never too old to try something new.
    I first darkened the doors of KV Golden Gloves 3 years ago. I went to the ladies boxing class to see what the hype was all about. I had friends who had raved about what a great workout this class was and I wanted to see if I had what it took to finish a class. I did, sort of. I truly thought I was going to die. Let's face it, burpees are the devil and I hadn't done a burpee in like a hundred years.
     Despite my near-death experience, I left class that day and bought my own pair of boxing gloves and looked forward to the next class. I was hooked!
     Fast forward to about this time last year... I had been thinking about how much fun it would be to actually get into the ring and spar. I knew that at my age it would just be for fun, because who is going to let a thirty something mom of 3 compete?! Apparently Tim, the man who runs the club, will. What?! It's all fun and games until someone punches you in the face for the first time. Granted, I am all geared up with a mouth guard and head gear, but that first blow to the head made me think for a moment about what exactly I was getting myself into.

     So for the last 8 months or so, I have been faithfully heading to the boxing gym, climbing into the ring, and doing my best not to get my bell rung. I was able to travel to Moncton in December and experience the nerves and anticipation of my very first fight. My first fight, which I am still waiting for. You see, I went all that way, completed the weigh-in and medical and then found out my opponent was a no show.  Who knew that boxing would not only develop my body, but teach me to deal graciously with disappointment.
    Why do I want to fight? Why do I push myself to do just one more or do it just a little faster? It's really quite simple. I am a mom. What does that have to do with boxing? Nothing and everything.  I want my kids to believe that they can accomplish whatever it is they put their minds to do. I believe the best way to lead is by example. So, I lace up my boxing shoes, step into the ring and continue to pursue my goal.
    I may never be a world class athlete, and I may never be anyone's million dollar baby, but I am a fighter. I am a dreamer. I am a boxer.



No comments:

Post a Comment