Friday 31 January 2014

Rescue Pup

   So, as I said in a previous post, we are visiting my parents in Baltimore. We have had a great visit where everyone has stayed up late and slept in in the mornings. It's been great. We've shopped, seen family, been to the movies, and Simon and I even got out for a date! We were also able to be here to support mom and dad as they lost their dog of many, many years; Buster.
     Charlie, my parents remaining dog has been a joy for my kids and has reinforced the feelings that our family is missing a four-legged piece.  We had a shelter dog in the past, Lucy. who was the best thing that happened to my eldest. I always say that my Isaac is an old soul and Lucy was his best buddy to whom he could talk to. She was a soothing presence to his sometimes wired soul. We lost Lucy about 2 years ago, and Isaac will still tear up when he sees her picture.
    Simon and I had a chat (I may have been a bit persuasive) and decided to call up the local SPCA and see if adoption was an option as it would be out of country. The shelter didn't foresee a problem with us adopting, so off Simon and I went to have a look at the dogs. There were many to choose from, but 2 that caught our eye. Maxwell, an English bulldog mix with a HUGE head and  Lombard, a shepherd mix with a sweet face and a gentle disposition.
     We came home with pictures to show the kids. They immediately shouted that Lombard was going to be the one. We had a day to think about things and then we took the kids in to meet the dogs.  Akira was overwhelmed by the noise and Isaac thought it was "stinky" Asher pointed at all of the dogs shouting "tee, tee woo, woo, woo". We took them to the area that housed Maxwell and Lombard and both kids dropped to their knees at Lombard's cage and stated that this was "the one".
    We found the staff person and arranged to meet Lombard in the meet and greet room. He came in very calmly and quietly. Isaac, though we had asked him to restrain himself, immediately put his arms around Lombard's neck and declared his love. Akira was excited about how soft his ears were and Asher thumped him on the head and yelled "tee".
   I knew Lombard was the boy for us. Any dog that was that tolerant of a group of loud, strange kids was a-ok in my books. I also knew that Lombard needed a new name. He was found at the corner of Lombard St, hence his name, but it just didn't suit him.
   We all piled into the car to head home and prepare to bring Lombard home with us. I was anxious and felt like a new parent getting ready to bring home a new baby. And what were we going to name him?! This plagued me and I admit I tossed and turned and chased names around my head all night. Nothing was just right. We had a few that we agreed on, but I never had that "aha" moment.
    We were in the van on the way to pick him up and Simon said that he had had a thought while he was in the shower. He suggested Sauver... french for saved or rescued. It was perfect!!  We arrived at the shelter, signed the final paperwork and prepared to bring our boy home. He hoped into the car like he'd done it a million times.  He alternated between looking out the window and lying down next to Asher's car seat. We had found a new family member.
    He seems to be settling in quite nicely. Now we just have to wait and see how he'll make out on the LONG drive home...




1 comment:

  1. Wonderful story mel!! Welcome home to your latest edition.... I'm sure he will be loved by all forever... Xo
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete