Tuesday 7 January 2014

Resolution vs. Reality

     It has been nearly a week since I "resolved" to turn around both my life and in the process impact the lives of my husband and kids. Well making a decision on the eve of a new year and actually living out the reality are two very different things. So how has this week been? I'd say okay on a scale of crappy - awesome.
     I like to think that as a family, we eat a somewhat healthy, somewhat well rounded diet. When I actually take stock of what we eat perhaps I was a bit generous in my thinking. It is so much easier to reach for a pack of "real" fruit gummies than it is to make something real. Lazy... yes. BUT sometimes when kids are melting down and supper needs to be made and the baby screams every time I try to put him down I want convenience. So, my goal for this week is to have fresh fruit and veggies prepped and ready to be handed out to the wailing masses.
   I also tried almond milk in my coffee today instead of cream (don't judge, it's so delicious). As a die-hard sugar and cream in my coffee gal I think I've come a long way. I have just a sprinkle of sugar now, which is down from nearly 3 teaspoons. I am not sold on the almond milk, but I'm willing to try it again. I also picked up some coconut milk today to give that a try.
    My favourite part of this journey so far has been the excuse to browse Pinterest for yummy new recipies. I made a delicious butternut squash and apple bake which was pretty good (see link to recipe below). I tweaked it a bit, as I do with most recipes... I see them more as guides than set in stone rules. What can I say, I walk on the wild side!
    My weight really hasn't changed and I'd be lying if I said I am full of energy. I know this is the first step in a life long journey, so I don't expect instant gratification.  I am enjoying finding new foods and tweaking existing favourites to make them more "whole".
    I have a long way to go... but I'm in this for the long haul!

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

http://healthylivingmaintenance.tumblr.com/post/71247058532/cinnamon-roasted-butternut-squash-apples


No comments:

Post a Comment