Friday 24 January 2014

Driving with AppleCheeks

      So although I am a mom of 3, Asher is my first bum in cloth. I've been using AppleCheeks for a year now and I feel pretty comfortable with my routine, but I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive about a 2 day car trip in cloth. Let's be honest, it wasn't just the cloth I was nervous about... 3 kids, 2 parents, 1 car could be a recipe for chaos. We have made the drive to Baltimore from New Brunswick many times with no complaints from the peanut gallery, so I was hoping this trip would be the same.
    We started our trip in a bit of a whirlwind. The forecast was predicting blizzard conditions for the day we were supposed to leave, so in true Richard spontaneous form, we opted to pack up and leave the night before. This wouldn't have been a big deal except I had literally not packed one thing yet... Procrastination, Melanie is your name..  I have to give a shout out to my hubby. He had been on days off leading up to this and I had been at work and he managed to wrangle the kids and make sure all the laundry was done, including my diaper laundry. Because of his hard work, all I had to do was throw everything in bags and hit the road.
    We loaded up the kids, clad in jammies and hit the road. I had a duffle bag all stuffed with fluff and a diaper bag which I hoped would be full enough to last the car trip. I knew we were good for the night with a super-stuffed bum. Everyone was settled and blissfully snoozing by the time we hit the US border an hour later.
     I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to travel in cloth. The ease of the applecheeks system was part of what made the trip so simple... just snap and go! I also had a great "diaper" bag, which made storage of our dirty diapers a breeze. I started using a Lulu lemon gym bag as my go to diaper bag a few months ago. The area designated for gym shoes makes a perfect storage area for a small zippered wet bag, leaving a ton of space in the main area for clean fluff.
     We arrived at my parents house with our sanity in tact and applecheeks on the cheeks.  Steel me stole the show for the debut of cloth diapers to Grammy. My anxiety was without cause, traveling in cloth was simple and stress free!
Asher's face when I told him I was thinking about using disposables for the drive...


Our make-shift storage for clean fluff


No comments:

Post a Comment