Wednesday 22 October 2014

We Told the Truth

   Since the kids were itty bitty we've always told them that being honest is more important than whatever they may have done. This concept wasn't always easy for them. Isaac hates to let anyone down, so he would resort to lying if he thought he would get into trouble. After repeatedly assuring him that the truth was far more important, he now usually picks taking the consequence of his actions over the consequences for lying.
  Akira also has her battles with honesty. She cares far less about letting people down as she cares about getting in trouble. She is an excellent tale teller and it is usually fairly easy to tell her fairy tales from the truth. She is also coming along in her journey towards honesty. She has very creative mind and Simon and I are encouraging her to express that creativity through art and writing rather than weaving elaborate tales to frame her brothers for her misadventures!
  Asher hasn't stumbled into the stage of telling tales just yet. He is all about the word "mine" and "top it mommy, top it sissy, top it Isaac". His day will come as it does with every little person.
    It began to weigh really heavy on my mind and on my heart that if telling the truth is so important, why are we weaving webs of deception at Christmas and Easter? Isaac is 8, so I don't think it would be completely unexpected if someone in his class spills the beans about Santa. What is my response? "I know we've told you how important being honest is, but we spent your life up until this point lying to you"...
   Simon and I sat down one night and had the conversation about what we were going to do. We came to the decision that we were going to tell the kids that Santa isn't real. I really didn't know how they were going to handle it. I started the conversation with a recap about telling the truth and then I told them that we hadn't been honest with them. I told them that Santa doesn't actually come around to houses on every Christmas. I told them it doesn't mean we won't celebrate and we can still go to Santa parades and even write letters to Santa if they want.
    Akira's first response was, "Will we still get the same amount of presents?" Typical Akira. Isaac wanted to know who bought the presents that said they were from Santa. Little miss was quickly done with the conversation, seemingly unaffected and ready for the next big thing. Isaac, in classic Isaac form, needs time to adjust to change and to new ideas. He needed multiple hugs and reassurance that we could talk as much as he needed to. By the next day, he too had moved on and was ready for action.
    I know there are many who will disagree with what we did, but I am happy we did it. I want to lead my kids by example, so for me, this meant coming clean about Santa. Not to worry, the kids were given strict instruction no to talk about their revelation with their friends, as not to spoil Christmas for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment