Tuesday 18 November 2014

My Little Gymnast

  So I am not a mama who is inclined to live vicariously through my kids. I have let them try out various sports to see what they like. We always made them finish the season or session even if they didn't like what they were doing, because it is important that kids learn to finish what they start. So, when Akira wanted to start gymnastics, I didn't hold hope that it would last any longer than her other activities.
  BUT, we are now in year three and she is gearing up for her first meet in a few weeks. She has had days when she is tired and doesn't want to go, but at the end of class she always tells me it was "awesome" or the "best day ever".
   It has been fun watching her progress from barley being able to do a back bend, to being able to walk the length of the gym floor while in a back bend. She has worked so hard and she almost has a perfect split on her "good" leg. She says her favourite apparatus is bars. Soft, girlie hands she has not. This girls hands are tough and full of calluses.
  If you have known me since I was wee you know that I did a bit of gymnastics as a kiddo. I don't think Akira really thought too much about it until last week when a package arrived from Grammy. when she opened it up she found my old competition leotard and track suit. She was thrilled and tried everything on right away.
  When I went to pick her up today, there she was all decked out in '80s blue looking like a little rockstar. She was so proud to be wearing my old gear. It was pretty cute. So, while I'm not going to live out some crazy Olympic dream through my little girl, I am so proud to see her working so hard and sticking to something even when it isn't easy. I love you little girl!


She still has to hit the books even after 3 hours of training! She's a trooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment