Wednesday 21 May 2014

The Stigma

  Hi all! I know I've been off here for a long time. I've been sick. I have spent the last 10 weeks in the hospital. Now here's the kicker... I've been on the psychiatric floor, because I have a mental illness. Did your opinion of me just change? I know I am guilty of stigmatizing mental illness. I think we all do, but I hope I can do my part to change that stigma.
   If I had been in hospital with a bad heart, or an infection, or needing surgery, no one would hesitate to pop in and say hello. My visitors were few and far between in the last 10 weeks. Because I was on the psych ward, it became awkward for people to stop by. I understand, but it was still hard. I am still Melanie. I just needed a mental tune-up.
   As an ER nurse, I passed judgement on the mental health staff and patients alike. I no longer look down of either of them. I owe my life to the physicians and nurses and therapists on the psych ward. These men and women worked tirelessly to ensure my safety. When I thought there was no hope and I would never recover, they held my hand, hugged me and told me to be patient and recovery would come. They cheered for me when I had my first successful day pass and overnight pass.
   I am happy to say that I am nearing the end of my in-hospital treatment. I am looking forward to being at home with my family for good. I will have to continue with therapy for awhile and I still have a lot of work to do before I'm "cured". I am going to make it my personal crusade to change the stigma around mental illness. I'd be willing to bet there are many people out there who have a story like mine.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for being brave enough to share the truth and your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, I would have visited you in a heartbeat...however, I didn't know, and I'm a few hundred miles away. ;) I love you and my opinion of you has not changed one iota. As a matter of fact, I've suffered with depression (Not sure what you've been diagnosed with.) for many years. I am still in therapy, and on medication for it. I may be for the rest of my life. I don't tell many people because, yes, there still is a stigma around mental illness. Not everyone understands. I'm very thankful for all of the doctors and nurses who helped you get back to health. And I'm so glad you're able to be home with your family again! Hang in there girly, you are very much LOVED and we're all praying for you! <3 and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 and lots of <3 to you Melanie! Your courageous and strong and you have wonderful people on your side. I missed your updates and pictures and blog and you. I look forward to your return. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your bravery. I have MDD with severe Social Anxiety and Trichotillomania. Don't think the family knows that, but I'm not sure. Simon did live with us for awhile, he must have noticed that I didn't seem to leave the house. I want you to know how awesome you are for standing up and getting help when you needed it. I know how hard that is. (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just learned you were in hospital! I am glad you're on the road to recovery. I have to admit, mental health is not my strong area. It makes my heart hurt for my patients with depression, who I just want to hug them and tell them it's all going to be ok, and then make it all better for them...but I can't do that. I truly believe that the people who work in mental health and addictions services are sent there by God. They are so good at what they do, and have all that I lack in that field. <3 Hugs for you, and prayers for a swift recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie, you are one of the most determined and devoted people/woman/mom/wife/RN/friend that I know. You have such a vibrant life force, and glow and strength that radiates from you, I am so proud to have you as a friend, and can't wait until you are ready to be home. I look forward to more chats, runs, movie nights, glasses of wine, and many other things. Know you are loved, and that you have already made such a big difference in this world. No matter what you tackle you will persevere, I know that if you have made it your mission to change the stigma of mental illness, than you will. As always I want you to know that I am here for you in whatever capacity you need/want.. sometimes even if you don't! Be brave, and strong, but most of all be beautiful you!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Melanie, thanks for your honesty and transparency. You have a lot of people who are praying & rooting for you, and no doubt your blog post will inspire many more to see and understanding their illness in a more healthy way. Thank you for your courage!
    Rob

    ReplyDelete