Thursday 29 May 2014

Selfies and Yummy Muffins

   I've not quite been home for a week and I seem to be settling in to "normal" life again. It is strange to go from such a controlled environment to complete freedom. It is a bit of a culture shock. In order to protect the patients and privacy, there are no phones or personal computers allowed on the psychiatric unit. Having no contact with the outside world was one of the biggest adjustments.
   I never realized just how much time I spent on my phone or in front of the computer. At the beginning, I felt like I had lost my best friend. Now I am quite happy to putter around the house and skip the screen time. (Though I have to say I really missed out on all the Instagram applecheeks cuteness).
   Now that I am home, I hope to focus on what matters... My family. I admit I've taken a few shameless selfies since my return to reality, but hey, who doesn't love a good selfie?? I am sad to say that I missed out on precious moments with my kids as I endlessly refreshed facebook or email. I learned from my psychiatrist to ask myself, "Five years from now, will this matter?". Time is precious and I don't want to waste it on the things that don't matter!
    That said, I have enjoyed cooking, baking, and even cleaning. It is nice to be in my own domain. We've enjoyed some delicious treats as a result. Today's new recipe was for banana-strawberry muffins. They were a hit with everyone and they are nut-free, so they are school lunch friendly. The link for the recipe is:  http://ldylvbgr.blogspot.ca/2008/09/strawberry-banana-chocolate-chip.html Enjoy!
    Hug you kids, put down the phone, turn off the TV and enjoy those moments that fly by oh so quickly.

                                                 Shameless Mommy & me selfie                            
                 
                                                            Oh so yummy muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment