Sunday 28 December 2014

Out With the Old, In With the New

So, 2014 is nearly over. I would be lying if I said that it was a great year. It was a year of learning, of change, and of growth. I have seen dark days and I have met kindness and caring from strangers. 2014 was a year that I have no desire to repeat. I am looking forward to a new year and all that 2015 will have to offer.

Some highlights of 2014: Seeing Asher develop into a spunky 2 year old with an ever-growing vocabulary, Akira competing in her first gymnastics meet, Isaac gaining independence and getting to ride his bike to and from friends houses, and Simon and I getting to have a mini vacation alone thanks to a very, very generous and kind neighbour. I got a girl's weekend in Bangor to do some shopping. And though it came a little late, we all had a great Christmas.

2014 had it's dark moments as well. I don't want to dwell on the darkness, but simply acknowledge that there was many a dark hour over the year. There still are dark days, but I have a support network that is there to hold me up when I can't stand on my own.

2015 is going to be a good year! Tomorrow morning I will be starting a new lifestyle. I will be doing the whole30. I admit that I am a skeptic when it comes to people's claims that this or that has changed their lives. I have been following a woman on Instagram for over a year and the change has been impressive and lasting. I figure I can do anything for 30 days, right?

I have filled my fridge full of fresh fruits and veggies and we have lots of yummy meat in the fridge and freezer. I was most worried about having to give up my cream in my coffee, so I figured I'd try it black this morning to see if I was going to survive. *shock* After the first swallow, I found that I actually don't mind black coffee. I made my first batch of ghee tonight (it's butter that has been boiled to remove the milk proteins). I am actually looking forward to this new adventure.

I am also planning to get back on the wagon when it comes to exercise. I've been really slack over the last month, which does nothing good for my mental health. I have joined the aquatics centre and will begin swimming. My good friend Andrea has put the bug in my ear about trying to do a sprint distance triathlon. I think it will be fun.... now if someone would just buy me a bike!

So, farewell 2014. I will not miss you. Hello 2015, let's make the best of what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment